“I will not make any deals with you. I’ve resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.”
… and ready to show how Patrick McGoohan can be imprisoned (well, his character of No 6 actually) is with Wandering Planet’s Kickstarter campaign to fund the first-ever officially licensed action figure line based on The Prisoner! This cult classic television show starring and created by this actor/producer still continues to influence to this day. The campaign will run from Monday April 19th until Wednesday, May 26th at 6:06 PM PT.
In 1967 the cult classic TV series, The Prisoner burst onto the screen. The series, about an unnamed British intelligence agent who awakes to find himself trapped in an idyllic seaside village, was not only an instant hit with viewers at the time, it went on to be watched and re-watched obsessively by fans, quickly gaining cult status. And while there have been several collectables released over the decades, The Prisoner has never received a line of officially licensed action figures… until now. Wandering Planet Toys, appointed by ITV Studios, will bring to life 4-inch retro style action figures that celebrate Patrick McGoohan’s brilliant series.
“The Prisoner is quintessential cult TV,” said Wandering Planet Toys co-founder and Emmy nominated writer Chris “Doc” Wyatt (Marvel’s Rocket and Groot). “Depending on the viewer it can be seen as a stylish spy drama, an allegorical social commentary, a paranoid conspiracy thriller, or even a piece of avant-garde filmmaking. Our Wave 1 toys are dedicated to the idea of honoring the series and contributing to its fandom.”
Wandering Planet Toys’ campaign features multiple tiers:
- NUMBER 6 FIRST EDITION features the iconic black jacket with white piping, and the classic 6 badge.
- NUMBER 6 KICKSTARTER-EXCLUSIVE “ARRIVAL” EDITION features the Prisoner’s all-black outfit, as seen in the episode “Arrival” and in the opening credit sequence of each episode.
- NUMBER 6 BEACH ESCAPE EDITION version of Number 6 is a variant of the First Edition figure, but WITHOUT the #6 badge. This edition features a special cardback featuring the icon moment of Number 6 attempts escape on the Village’s beachfront.
- NUMBER 6 “CHECKMATE” EDITION. This edition of NUMBER 6 figure sports the multi-coloured cloak worn in during the living chess game in the episode “Checkmate” complete with the chess staff.
- NUMBER 6 – LIMITED EDITION ROVER PACKAGE. No discussion of THE PRISONER is complete without mention of the Village’s spherical guardian and menace, ROVER. In order to evoke the iconic moment of NUMBER 6 pushed up against the gelatinous side of the guardian, Wandering Planet Toys has created a Limited Edition plastic packaging unit depicting our hero in the belly of the beast. This package is a resealable clamshell so the figure can be removed for display, then reinserted.
“Wave 1 of The Prisoner action figures are far along in development,” said Wandering Planet Toys co-founder Gavin Hignight. “The figures have been sculpted, the packaging has been designed, and approvals have already been granted by our partners at ITV Studios. As longtime fans of The Prisoner, we are so excited for fans and collectors to see these toys and the detail we’re putting into them, but that can only happen if the campaign is funded.”
The campaign concludes May 26, 2021. For updates, please follow Wandering Planet Toys on Twitter.
To support the campaign, please visit the official Kickstarter page here.