Enjoying what the Winter Wonderland represents can soon enjoy watching how The Grinch rang in the New Year (and the holidays) with the digital release Jan 22. The home video release is Feb 5th, 2019 and the creative minds from Illumination Entertainment show no bounds, especially when the Minions are along for the ride! Yes, these miscreants from Despicable Me are back, and no they have not teamed up with this anti-hero. I can only imagine the chaos to ensure should the day this studio decide to fashion a shared universe.
This physical release has more than 60 minutes of bonus content and personally, I cannot wait. The film was a joy to lift me from the bah humbugs over the season when I saw it theatrically, and now I can see it year-round. Immediate access to the new music videos is a nice touch. Details of the physical release are as follows:
- Any Who Can Draw – Hosted by an Illumination artist and head of story Mark O’Hare, you’ll see step-by-step how to draw some of your favourite characters from this beloved holiday classic; Grinch, Max, and Fred!
- Cindy-Lou’s Yule Log – Nothing says the holidays quite like an animated fireplace blasting fake heat from your living room television. Just in time for winter, we’ll recreate Cindy-Lou’s living room on Christmas Eve for all to enjoy.
- From Green to Screen – It takes a lot to bring grumpy green to your home screen. This inside look at the making of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch features interviews and behind-the-scenes moments with the cast, filmmakers, and artists whose hearts have all grown three sizes bringing this classic tale to life.
- Grinchy Gadgets – From his body-size blow dryer to his moving mechanical chair, from his catapult to his dog drone-rig and more… you’ll get to explore the wondrous world of Grinch’s gadgets.
- “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” and “I Am The Grinch” Lyric Video – A stylized look at Tyler, The Creator’s original song created just for the film. These pieces are also available online.
- Illuminating THE GRINCH – Using filmmaker and cast interviews, concept art and progression reels, we take a behind-the-scenes look at how the characters evolved from initial sketches to fully realized characters.
Yellow is the New Black – Before they all make their big escape from prison in Despicable Me 3, a couple of lucky Minions get a taste of freedom as they break free with the help of one of their fellow human inmates.
Dog Days of Winter – Max braves the harsh winter weather and an uncooperative Who to bring a sick Grinch his favourite hot tea.
Santa’s Little Helpers; Fan favourites – the Minions – are back for another adventure! Having been accidentally dropped off at the North Pole, our Minion pals make the most of the situation by trying to become elves.
- My Earliest GRINCH Memories – The cast and filmmakers of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch reveal their earliest memories of the grumpy green character and the enduring appeal of this Christmas curmudgeon’s journey to redemption
- Songs From His Little Heart – Take a deep dive into the toe-tapping beats of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch. From score to specialty songs, you’ll hear from the film’s A-list musicians on what it took to create the music behind the movie.
- Who’s Who in Who-ville (interactive map) – There are so many interesting characters that call Who-ville home that it’s hard to keep track of them all. This “Who’s Who” pop-up book uses animation to create a virtual storybook that takes us from Who-ville to Mt. Crumpit.
- X-mas Around the World – Every culture practices Christmas in a slightly different way. We’ll highlight some of the more fun permutations of the holiday around the globe.
Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch stars Academy Award® nominee Benedict Cumberbatch (Dr. Strange, “Sherlock”) as the infamous Grinch, who lives a solitary life inside a cave on Mt. Crumpit with only his loyal dog, Max, for company. The incredible voice cast includes Rashida Jones (“Parks and Recreation,” The Muppets) as Donna Who, Kenan Thompson (“Saturday Night Live”) as Bricklebaum, Cameron Seely (The Greatest Showman) as Cindy-Lou Who, and featuring legendary actress Angela Lansbury (Anastasia, Beauty and the Beast) as the mayor of Whoville. Funny, heartwarming and visually stunning, Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch is a perfect night in for the whole family! Those curious in the original can find the Amazon order link here.